Administrative Medical Office Assistant Certificate/Area of Specialization (3549)
The goal of the program is to prepare competent entry-level administrative medical office assistants in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains. The responsibilities of an administrative medical office assistant may include telephone triage, updating and filing patient medical records, scheduling appointments, billing, and bookkeeping in a medical office environment.
Upon completion of the certificate students are eligible to take the National Certification Exam for Administrative Medical Office Assistants.
Students should contact the Counseling and Advising Center for details about applying for admission to the program. Students must be formally accepted into the program and are required to meet with the program director prior to starting the program.
Students must meet specific admission requirements for this program and are advised to meet with a counselor and the program director.
Listed below are requirements for admission to the Administrative Medical Office Assistant certificate program:
- Complete college application
- Complete college placement test or meet test exemption requirements
- Composite score of 21 or higher on the American College Test (ACT) or combined score of 940 on the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT)
- Place into MATH 0850 Beginning Algebra or successfully completed MATH 0745 Essential Skills for Algebra
- Place into ENGL 1110 English Composition I (A) or ENGL 1111 English Composition I (B) or successfully completed ENGL 0111 Fundamentals of College Literacy
- Applicants must meet with the program director and counselor to review the program prerequisites and requirements
Admission Procedures' Notes
Applicants must meet with the program director and counselor to review the program prerequisites and requirements.
Applicants who have completed the requirements for admission will be accepted into the program on a space-available basis.
NOTE: MDAS courses must be taken in sequential order. Please consult with your counselor or program director for assistance in planning your schedule.
|First Semester||Credit Hours|
|The first semester is in Fall|
or ENGL 1111
|English Composition I (A) 1
or English Composition I (B)
|HLTH 1215||Medical Terminology for Health Professions||3|
|MDAS 1110||Administrative Procedures for the Medical Office||3|
|MDAS 1150||Medical Office Insurance and Reimbursements||3|
|The second semester is in Spring|
|HLTH 1150||Introduction to Electronic Health Records||1|
|HLTH 1238||Structure, Function, Disease, and Therapeutics of the Human Body||4|
|HLTH 1400||Customer Service and Healthcare||2|
|Total Credit Hours||19|
English course selection is based on placement test results (ENGL 1111 English Composition I (B) is 4 credits, only 3 credits apply to the certificate).