Financial Aid

For information or assistance regarding financial aid, students can visit Lakeland’s Financial Aid Office webpage, call the Financial Aid Office at 440.525.7070 or visit the Student Service Center (A-1003).

Lakeland offers many types of financial aid, including federal and state grants, scholarships, federal loans and work study programs.

  • Grants:  Federal, state and institutional funds that typically do not need to be repaid.  Eligibility for grant money is based on financial need. 
  • Scholarships:  Scholarships are awarded based on merit, need and other established criteria.  Lakeland scholarships are available through the generosity of private donors and civic organizations.  Visit the Scholarship Center in myLakeland (under myRecords in the Student tab) for descriptions and criteria for each of the scholarships offered.  
  • Loans:  Federal and private funds that will need to be repaid.  
  • Employment:  Student employment opportunities are available through Lakeland's Career Services Center. 

Applying for Financial Aid

To apply for financial aid at Lakeland students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at using Lakeland’s school code of 006804.  Students can also apply for scholarships at Lakeland through the Scholarship Center in myLakeland.  Refer to the Scholarship Center brochure for more information.  Both the FAFSA and the Lakeland scholarship application should be completed every academic year the student is requesting financial aid.

Eligibility Requirements

To determine if a student qualifies for financial aid, Lakeland compares the cost of attending Lakeland with the student’s ability to contribute to the cost as determined by the FAFSA.  

To be considered for federal and state financial aid, a student must:

  • earn a high school diploma or GED.
  • be a United States citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  •  register with the Selective Service, if applicable.
  • be enrolled in a degree program or certificate program that has been approved for federal funding.
  • complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

To receive and remain eligible for federal and state financial aid, a student must:

  • submit all documents as requested by the Financial Aid Office.
  • attend class.
  • be aware of important deadlines that may affect financial aid (i.e. freeze dates, appeal deadlines, FAFSA filing, etc.).
  • meet the standards published in the Standards of Academic Progress Policy.

Standards for Academic Progress Policy

Federal regulations mandate that institutions of higher education establish minimum standards of "Satisfactory Academic Progress" for students receiving federal and state aid.  This policy is used to determine eligibility for the following programs:  Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Work-Study, Federal Direct Loans, Ohio College Opportunity Grant, Ohio War Orphans, Ohio National Guard, some private loans, and some scholarships.

Academic progress is measured in four ways at the end of each semester:

  • overall completion of at least 67% of credit hours attempted.
  • overall cumulative grade-point average (GPA) of at least 2.0.
  • completion of degree/certificate within 150% of the published credit hours required to earn the degree/certificate.
  • students who have GPA hours and have a 0.00 GPA for the semester will immediately become ineligible for future financial assistance.

Students who are not meeting the Standards of Academic Progress but have extenuating circumstances may submit an appeal to see if financial aid eligibility could be extended.    Deadlines for submitting an appeal for the Standards of Academic Progress are indicated on the appeal form and posted on the electronic signage throughout campus and the announcement channel of the portal.

It is the responsibility of every college student to be aware of the policies that may affect any aspect of his/her college education.

The complete Standards of Academic Progress Policy can be found online or at the Student Service Center.

Freeze Date

The financial aid freeze date is used each semester to lock a student's enrollment status for awarding financial aid.  The classes a student is enrolled in on the freeze date each semester determines the amount of federal aid they are eligible to receive.

It is in the student's best interest to make all schedule changes for the entire semester by the freeze date. If a student adds or drops classes before the freeze date, the amount of financial aid will be affected.  If classes are dropped or added after the freeze date, the federal aid will not change as long as the student has attended all of the classes enrolled in on the freeze date and they do not completely withdraw from all of their classes.

Please check financial aid announcements each semester for exact freeze dates.

Refund Policy:  Return of Title IV Federal Funds

A recipient of federal financial aid (Title IV) is subject to a recalculation of his/her aid eligibility if he/she:    

  • completely withdraws from all of his/her classes prior to the 60 percent point of the semester or
  • stops attending all his/her classes before completing the semester or
  • does not complete all the modules (courses which are not scheduled for the entire semester) for which he/she has registered at the time those modules begin.

If one of the above applies the Financial Aid Office will calculate the portion of federal financial aid the student has earned and any unearned aid must be returned to the aid programs.  Any credit balance from federal aid owed to the student will be placed on hold until the R2T4 calculation is completed.  

The complete Return to Title IV Policy can be found online at myLakeland or at the Student Service Center.

Books, Supplies and Daycare with Financial Assistance

Some types of financial assistance can be used to pay for books, supplies, daycare, and other debts to the college.  If your total financial aid award exceeds tuition and fees, and you would like to use those funds toward indirect costs, you will need to complete an Authorization Form.  The Authorization Form is available at the Student Service Center or can be signed electronically at my.Lakeland.


All correspondence from the Financial Aid Office will be sent through the student's Lakeland email.  The Financial Aid Office will mail award letters, request for documentation, etc.  It is the student's responsibility to check his/her Lakeland email for financial aid information.

Other Financial Assistance

State Assistance: The state of Ohio offers a wide variety of programs to assist with tuition and fees.  Visit the Ohio Department of Higher Education for more information.

Veteran's Assistance:  Available to veterans, including educational assistance for dependents of veterans.  Contact the Department of Veteran Affairs at 1.888.442.4551.

WIA (Workforce Investment Act Program):  Pays tuition and books for qualifying applicants.  Contact the WIA Office serving your county.
BVR (Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation:  May assist with tuition, books and other expenses for differently abled students.  Contact the BVR Office nearest your home.  

U.S. Armed Services:  All branches of the Armed Services now offer monthly stipends and tuition assistance.  Contact the Recruitment Office of the military branch of your preference.